, April 2002
Ely has been a place of Christian worship since at least 673, when Etheldreda, daughter of the king of East Anglia, founded a nunnery there. She later became a saint. Ely was sacked by the Danes in the 870s, but it was rebuilt and by the 10th century had become a monastery for men. Nothing survives of the Anglo–Saxon church, which was entirely demolished when the present structure was built after the Norman Conquest. In 1109 Ely became a cathedral as part of the Norman reforms of the English church.